[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Mon Apr 7 18:19:27 EDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>> I can point you to several posts of people with messed PATH and ended
>> with problems installing gem, just a few weeks back, here on this
>> list:
>>
>> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-March/003633.html
>>
>> I got several mails to my inbox about Mongrel too, and some "new"
>> ones
>> for One-Click Installer...
>>
>> So the thing is: if JRuby uses RubyGems, and 'ruby' executable is
>> labeled 'jruby', why not name rubygems 'jgem'?
>
> Because Rails installs as 'rails', Rake installs as 'rake', RSpec
> installs as 'spec', and so on. Unless we're going to consistently
> add a
> prefix or suffix to all installed scripts, this is only going to be
> confusing.
>
> Besides, if someone really needs JRuby's 'gem' script to be 'jgem', it
> can be aliased or symlinked trivially, or you can run "jruby -S gem"
> pick up the one associated with your current JRuby version. JRuby
> doesn't install its executables in a global path, so you can change
> anything you want.
>
> FWIW, I'm going to continue including a 'gem' script with JRuby
> releases
> no matter what, since that's the command everyone uses and I want it
> work.

I'm willing to change the default in a future minor release (not
1.1.1), but primarily I think the problem is going to be user education.

Is there any particular reason why JRuby and Ruby can't use the same
gem repository?  (Currently Rubinius does not, but after reading this
thread, I think that may be a mistake).

AFAIK, RubyGems is smart enough to pick a JRuby-platform gem only for
JRuby, and will Just Work if both the JRuby and non-JRuby platform
gems are installed.

This would allow a single `gem` command to work for all ruby
implementations.