[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Apr 7 13:49:27 EDT 2008

Luis Lavena wrote:
> Charlie:
> I can point you to several posts of people with messed PATH and ended
> with problems installing gem, just a few weeks back, here on this
> list:
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-March/003633.html
> I got several mails to my inbox about Mongrel too, and some "new" ones
> for One-Click Installer...
> So the thing is: if JRuby uses RubyGems, and 'ruby' executable is
> labeled 'jruby', why not name rubygems 'jgem'?

Because Rails installs as 'rails', Rake installs as 'rake', RSpec
installs as 'spec', and so on. Unless we're going to consistently add a
prefix or suffix to all installed scripts, this is only going to be

Besides, if someone really needs JRuby's 'gem' script to be 'jgem', it
can be aliased or symlinked trivially, or you can run "jruby -S gem" to
pick up the one associated with your current JRuby version. JRuby
doesn't install its executables in a global path, so you can change
anything you want.

FWIW, I'm going to continue including a 'gem' script with JRuby releases
no matter what, since that's the command everyone uses and I want it to

> In any case, there should be a warning or something if another ruby
> implementation is in the PATH...
> I don't know how to fix this and makes everybody happy...

Make it 'gem' in all cases, and people can add aliases as they desire. I
really don't think it should be different for different impls, since
it's the same library, the same code, the same logic. It should be 'gem'.

- Charlie