[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:39:44 EDT 2008

On 7 Apr 2008, at 17:03, Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
> <charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
>> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>>> 1. jgem?
>>>
>>> I saw this during the 1.0.0 install:
>>>
>>> install -c -m 0755 /tmp/gem /Users/headius/NetBeansProjects/jruby/
>>> bin/jgem
>>>
>>> Why jgem? We've been shipping with just 'gem'.
>>
>> Can we please have the 'gem' name as default when installing on
>> JRuby?
>>

> Charlie:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-March/003633.html
>
> So the thing is: if JRuby uses RubyGems, and 'ruby' executable is
> labeled 'jruby', why not name rubygems 'jgem'?
>
> In any case, there should be a warning or something if another ruby
> implementation is in the PATH...

On *nix systems, 0.9.5 moved to gem<version>, which also caused
various things to break for mixed package manager vs. gem update --
system configurations.

Nonetheless that seemed like a sensible thing to do, so maybe it's
good to move toward one that parallels the interpreter or platform
more specifically than 'major.minor ruby version'?

> I don't know how to fix this and makes everybody happy...

I don't know that it would make everyone happy, but printing the
interpreter path or general system configuration details in a header
for runs of the command might help (me, and maybe you).