[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:03:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>  > 1. jgem?
>  >
>  > I saw this during the 1.0.0 install:
>  >
>  > install -c -m 0755 /tmp/gem /Users/headius/NetBeansProjects/jruby/bin/jgem
>  >
>  > Why jgem? We've been shipping with just 'gem'.
>
>  It took me a couple months to notice this had been closed without being
>  fixed:
>

>  http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=16879&group_id=126&atid=575
>
>  I disgree that 'jgem' should be the default, since many people that run
>  JRuby run only JRuby, tutorials state 'gem' as the command, and people
>  are used to typing 'gem'. If people are using both JRuby and Ruby and
>  want to avoid naming conflicts, they can add an alias easily enough or
>  juggle PATH entries. But JRuby is "just another Ruby impl" and shouldn't
>  have a different command name for installing gems.
>
>  Can we please have the 'gem' name as default when installing on JRuby?

Charlie:

I can point you to several posts of people with messed PATH and ended
with problems installing gem, just a few weeks back, here on this
list:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-March/003633.html

I got several mails to my inbox about Mongrel too, and some "new" ones
for One-Click Installer...

So the thing is: if JRuby uses RubyGems, and 'ruby' executable is
labeled 'jruby', why not name rubygems 'jgem'?

In any case, there should be a warning or something if another ruby
implementation is in the PATH...

I don't know how to fix this and makes everybody happy...
--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems