[Rubygems-developers] Questions on 1.0.0 on JRuby

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 7 11:28:22 EDT 2008

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> 1. jgem?
>
> I saw this during the 1.0.0 install:
>
> install -c -m 0755 /tmp/gem /Users/headius/NetBeansProjects/jruby/bin/jgem
>
> Why jgem? We've been shipping with just 'gem'.

It took me a couple months to notice this had been closed without being
fixed:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=16879&group_id=126&atid=575

I disgree that 'jgem' should be the default, since many people that run
JRuby run only JRuby, tutorials state 'gem' as the command, and people
are used to typing 'gem'. If people are using both JRuby and Ruby and
want to avoid naming conflicts, they can add an alias easily enough or
juggle PATH entries. But JRuby is "just another Ruby impl" and shouldn't
have a different command name for installing gems.

Can we please have the 'gem' name as default when installing on JRuby?

- Charlie