[Rubygems-developers] SourceInfoCache vs. SourceIndex (was: query_command.rb question and patch)

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 17:11:59 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>  Gem::SourceInfoCache.search and search_with_source is what you want to
>  look at.

In RubyGems >1.1.0 (not >= due to current bugs), Is SourceInfoCache
supposed to be the only external programmatic interface for finding
both locally installed and remotely available specs?

In GemInstaller, I'm still using SourceIndex directly.  This is a
holdover because I originally wrote against RubyGems 0.8.11, which
only has SourceIndex (SourceInfoCache did not exist yet).

So, can I supposedly accomplish any local or remote spec query
(including platform-specific queries) using SourceInfoCache?

Thanks,
-- Chad