[Rubygems-developers] query_command.rb question and patch

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:59:13 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Jos Backus <jos at catnook.com> wrote:
>  The downside is that it would require installing the geminstaller gem for
>  Puppet to support gems.

That is true.  I can understand the desire to have no dependencies for
a system-management tool like Puppet.  Geminstaller itself has no
runtime dependencies (other than RubyGems itself).

Then again, the benefit of using a dependency is that you don't have
to re-invent the wheel.  In the case of Geminstaller, which is itself
a wrapper around Rubygems, a dependency can provide a level of
abstraction when the third party tool changes.  I also automatically
run my test suite against the latest trunk of RubyGems via svn
externals and cruise.rb, so I can proactively catch breakages and
coordinate with the RubyGems maintainers:

http://ci.thewoolleyweb.com/builds/geminstaller_trunk_using_rubygems_9-9-9

Anyway, I sent you a separate email off-list to discuss this.  In any
case, it looks like we can collaborate, if only to work on improving
the programmatic interface to RubyGems.

Good Luck,
-- Chad