[Rubygems-developers] query_command.rb question and patch

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Sun Apr 6 15:29:27 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 11:13:06AM -0700, Chad Woolley wrote:
> Invoke GemRunner with the appropriate ['--list','--remote','etc...'] options.
>
> For examples, look at GemInstaller:
>
> http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/lib/geminstaller/gem_list_checker.rb
>
> ...which calls:
> http://geminstaller.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/lib/geminstaller/gem_command_manager.rb
> (see GemCommandManager#list_remote_gem)
>
> Could probably be improved, I have to do manual parsing of results.
> An option to return a data structure would be better.

Thanks for the links, Chad. I'll be sure to take a look.

The downside is that it would require installing the geminstaller gem for
Puppet to support gems.

If I read the docs right there seems to be at least some overlap between it
and Puppet, as Puppet will (in theory) also manage gems and versions on
machines (depending on how well its gem package provider works, of course.

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com