[Rubygems-developers] Need help manually adding a gem to my local repository

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Thu Apr 3 19:24:07 EDT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 15:56 PM, Wes Gamble wrote:
> I have a gem already installed, but I had to move it into place by
> hand
> from another machine because it isn't available on the remote
> repository
> where it is supposed to be.

The easy way is to copy the .gem file out of the cache/ directory and
gem install that.

> Therefore the local gem index is unaware of it.
> How can I either have the gem directories rescanned and rebuild the
> local index OR how can I manually edit whichever file(s) represent the
> local gem index to show that the gem is actually there when I do a
> "gem
> list"?

The local gem index is built from the specifications/ directory.
Currently there isn't a command-line tool that will output a ruby-
format gemspec.  You can pull a specification out of a .gem file with

The files for the gem need to go in gems/#{spec.full_name}.