[Rubygems-developers] Is a remote list with --all supposed to be required to install older gem versions?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 06:06:16 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Chad Woolley <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>  >  Caching bug.
>  Ticket: http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=19228&group_id=126&atid=575

I'm having real issues with the changes made in rev 1673.  It does not
seem that the --all option always has an effect when listing gems,
sometimes you still get only the latest version, even if you pass
--all.   In GemInstaller, I have tests which exercise multi-version
multi-platform installs, and they break with the changes in this
revision.  If I revert this revision, everything works fine again.  An
example failing test is
"should return output of gem command"

If I add a call to 'reset' in Gem::SourceInfoCache.search, this also
fixes the problem, but I think that also defeats the
performance-improvement purpose of this revision.  I've spent a few
hours trying to figure out how to fix the problem without rolling back
the revision, but had no luck.  Trying to debug this caching code
makes my eyeballs bleed...

-- Chad