[Rubygems-developers] Questions about Gem Platform Matching

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 11:38:09 EDT 2007

On 9/30/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:

> Should we make this check in Gem::Platform.local and choose x86-
> mswin32-80 or x86-mswin32-60 (I think those are right) based on which
> one it is?

This sounds good, since Ruby set the platform to mswin32_80 .. adding
-60 to the VC6 version sounds right.

> This will also cause future gems built with the platform set to
> Gem::Platform::CURRENT to have the properly versioned platform.
>
> If the future gems have the wrong platform, we've done our best.  :/

Yeah, we cannot prevent apocalypse, but at least, reduce the problems
a few newcomers will face.

> Yes.  I don't think it is worth delaying a beta of RubyGems for, if
> there is so much uncertainty.

Yes, I agree with you.

Mailing right now ruby-core to get more information about "the future" :-)

> Do you know which compiler the one-click installer is built with?

VC6 (plain msvcrt) as Daniel Berger stated.

Regards and thank you for your interest on this issue.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems