[Rubygems-developers] Questions about Gem Platform Matching

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Sat Sep 29 23:32:56 EDT 2007

On Sep 29, 2007, at 15:37 , Luis Lavena wrote:
> On 9/29/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>> I see what you mean, is there any other way to detect VC6 from
>> Config::CONFIG?
>
> Config::CONFIG['RUBY_SO_NAME']
> => "msvcrt-ruby18"
>
> Config::CONFIG["LIBRUBY_SO"]
> => "msvcrt-ruby18.dll"
>
> The shared library changes names between versions. VC6 uses 'msvcrt'
> and VC8 uses 'msvcr80'
>
> We could call it "runtime" since is that what the acronym mean ;-)
> (MicroSoft Visual C Run Time)

Ok.

Should we make this check in Gem::Platform.local and choose x86-
mswin32-80 or x86-mswin32-60 (I think those are right) based on which
one it is?

This will also cause future gems built with the platform set to
Gem::Platform::CURRENT to have the properly versioned platform.

If the future gems have the wrong platform, we've done our best.  :/

>> Would it be worthwhile to special-case for mswin32?
>
> I don't know what whould happen to 1.8.x releases after 1.9 get on
> the spot.
>
> Nobu is in charge of the releases and keep using VC6 for it, which
> is slow.
>
> http://pastie.caboo.se/pastes/95210
>
> I have found a few Ruby users that compile ruby from scratch instead
> of using the OCI.
> The only compiler available for that task is VC8 (which is free
> available as Visual Studio Express or Windows SDK for Vista).
>
> Also the "tests" builds of 1.9 are made with VC6, but since they are
> older, someone checkout trunk will need VC8... which will face similar
> issues against VC6.
>
> I forgot to include in the pastie the change to ~ method, which
> currently ignores version mismatch (and making it strict bomb darwin
> tests).
>
> Maybe we should ask on ruby-code about it... and Curt since I never
> heard back from him about this.

Yes.  I don't think it is worth delaying a beta of RubyGems for, if
there is so much uncertainty.

Do you know which compiler the one-click installer is built with?