[Rubygems-developers] Questions about Gem Platform Matching

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 18:37:17 EDT 2007

On 9/29/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:

> I see what you mean, is there any other way to detect VC6 from
> Config::CONFIG?

Config::CONFIG['RUBY_SO_NAME']
=> "msvcrt-ruby18"

Config::CONFIG["LIBRUBY_SO"]
=> "msvcrt-ruby18.dll"

The shared library changes names between versions. VC6 uses 'msvcrt'
and VC8 uses 'msvcr80'

We could call it "runtime" since is that what the acronym mean ;-)
(MicroSoft Visual C Run Time)

> Would it be worthwhile to special-case for mswin32?

I don't know what whould happen to 1.8.x releases after 1.9 get on the spot.

Nobu is in charge of the releases and keep using VC6 for it, which is slow.

http://pastie.caboo.se/pastes/95210

I have found a few Ruby users that compile ruby from scratch instead
of using the OCI.
The only compiler available for that task is VC8 (which is free
available as Visual Studio Express or Windows SDK for Vista).

Also the "tests" builds of 1.9 are made with VC6, but since they are
older, someone checkout trunk will need VC8... which will face similar
issues against VC6.

I forgot to include in the pastie the change to ~ method, which
currently ignores version mismatch (and making it strict bomb darwin
tests).

Maybe we should ask on ruby-code about it... and Curt since I never
heard back from him about this.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems