[Rubygems-developers] Questions about Gem Platform Matching

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 20:22:15 EDT 2007

> I'm working on a patch and checking the tests cases.

Pointless... it seems that on different platforms (darwin as example)
compile something in darwin will be compatible with darwin8, but not
darwin7 or 9 (as test_gem_platform.rb assert).

http://pastie.caboo.se/101899

I know that is wrong... apply the changes I made bomb the darwin plaform.

But on windows, VC6 and VC8 aren't compatible builds, neither the
linking to msvcrt-ruby18 and msvcr80-ruby18...

So installing gems made with Gem::Platform.local 'i386-mswin32' will
not work under Gem::Platform.local == 'i386-mswin32_80' ...due the
missing shared library.

Guess until users face the problem and start closing tickets at
rubyforge will be some general acknowledge about it.

What the hell... just ignore me.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems