[Rubygems-developers] Questions about Gem Platform Matching

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:12:32 EDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> Probably.  Is there a way to get the value out of Config::CONFIG?
> I think people expect an x86-mswin32 platform gem to work with
> whatever the latest one-click installer is.  RubyGems also provides a
> required_ruby_version check, so you can lock it down to a particular
> ruby one-click version.

The problem is this:

OCI uses official VC6 builds, which is old (sometimes gets a bit
before stable patchlevels gets build for mswin32).

Anyway, the use of VC6 will vanish with ruby 1.9, and that could
present a problem.

Manually build ruby with free compiler from microsoft (VC8) produces
msvcr80-ruby18.dll as shared library of ruby.

Now, using 'gem' I install Mongrel, and manually choose mswin32 as
platform, but the extension is linked against msvcrt-ruby18.dll, which
don't exist. Result: not working mongrel and lots of reports on

Next version of RubyGems will choose platform automatically and
"correctly", and that level of intelligence will make this more
problematic what is really is now.

Also, last but no least, the dependencies of runtimes (msvcrt vs
msvcr80) sharing the same memory could bring some issues -- besides
having two different runtimes for the same task loaded in memory.

I took the platform.rb example you posted in your blog to collect these details.

Official build of ruby states as OS: "mswin32"
Builds made with VC8: "mswin32_80"

Maybe we could take the "80" from mswin32 and append to the end: x86-mswin32-80.

Also, was a lot of discusion in ruby-talk about the next OCI and if
will be MinGW or VC2005 based... and never heard from Curt again.

Or continue being using VC6... which is slow.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi