[Rubygems-developers] Source caches again.

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 04:21:08 EDT 2007

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2007, at 01:51, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't understand this part.  How is this different from `gem
> >> sources -c`?
> >
> > I needed a way to put in a command name that reflected the semantics
> > of "clear the cache".  As far as I could see your commands are defined
        [...]
> > it was the sources as such.  So "clear the cache" which people mention
> > didn't lead me to look at the source command. Therefore I thought
> > people
> > would look for a separate command.
>
> Is a change in documentation sufficient?  The sources command's
> description now reads:
>
> $ gem help commands | grep -A1 sources
>      sources           Manage the sources and cache file RubyGems
> uses to search
>                        for gems

Yes, I expect people will (?:visually)? grep the help for /cache/
so in most cases this will suffice.  If there were a way to alias
commands, I'd recommend that as well, but duplication of code is
best avoided, so I'd concede the lack of a clear_cache command.

> Also, the way the source cache works has been changed since the last
> release.  When --source (for install, etc) is given, only the sources
> listed on the command line are used.  To add extra sources
> permanently you must run `gem sources --add`.

OK, I'll have to have a look at that. Thanks for pointing it out.

        Thank you,
        Hugh