[Rubygems-developers] SourceInfoCache.search (Eric Hodel)

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Sun Sep 23 04:37:58 EDT 2007

On Sep 22, 2007, at 23:09, Alan C Francis wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2007, at 10:45, rubygems-developers-request at rubyforge.org
> wrote:
>> I think I would like:
>>
>> If Gem.configuration.update_sources is true (default) the source
>> cache will be updated automatically.
>
> Do you mean for the search (my original request) or for all commands
> where the cache is update (eg install)

I was thinking for all commands, having it baked right in to
Gem::SourceInfoCache.

I don't forsee a problem with going the all commands route, with
update_sources set to false, RubyGems would work like macports, which
requires a `port update` to get the latest.

>> You should then be able to override the user's
>> Gem.configuration.update_sources value for your purposes.
>>
>> I don't have time to write it.  Could you write up a patch and put it
>> in the tracker?
>
> I'll have a crack at it.  At the risk of provoking the Wrath of
> Stallman[*], my brand new 5-day old daughter can spoil the
> concentration somewhat :-)

There should be enough tests in there to make it a 1-2 hour job.
You'll need to look at Gem::SourceInfoCache and Gem::ConfigFile.

> [*] http://edward.oconnor.cx/2005/04/rms

LOL!  FWIW, I'm with Nick, take your time.