[Rubygems-developers] Error with local install

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 00:16:00 EDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2007, at 10:13 PM, TRANS wrote:
> > Exactly the same.
> >
> >   $ sudo gem install --backtrace facets-2.0.0.gem
> >   ERROR:  Error installing gem facets-2.0.0.gem[.gem]: undefined
> > method `required_ruby_version' for nil:NilClass
>
> My guess is that you installed a gem with the beta version of
> RubyGems, then switched back to a previous version.

I generated the gem, then tried to install it as a test and got this
error. Then I upgraded to the latest version of RubyGems 0.9.4 and did
it all again. Both times I got the exact same error. Here's the
metadata as it exists in the gem:

--- !ruby/object:Box::GemSpecification
rubygems_version: 0.9.4
specification_version: 1
name: facets
version: !ruby/object:Gem::Version
  version: 2.0.0
date: 2007-09-07 00:00:00 -07:00
summary: Premium Core Extensions and Standard Additions
require_paths:
- lib
email: facets-universal at rubyforge.org
homepage: http://facets.rubyforge.org
rubyforge_project:
and standard additions for the Ruby programming language. The core
extensions are unique by virtue of their atomicity. Methods are stored
in small, tightly related collections, allowing for highly granular
control of requirements. The modules include a variety of useful
classes, mixins and microframeworks, from the Functor to a complete
Annotations system.
autorequire:
default_executable:
bindir: bin
has_rdoc: false
required_ruby_version: !ruby/object:Gem::Version::Requirement
  requirements:
  - - ">"
    - !ruby/object:Gem::Version
      version: 0.0.0
  version:
platform: ruby
signing_key:
cert_chain:
post_install_message:
authors:
- Thomas Sawyer <transfire at gmail.com>
files:
- LICENSE
- README
- demo
- demo/bench
- demo/bench/bench_factorial.rb

> To fix:  (1) Uninstall the offending gem, or (2) grep the gem/
> specification directory for require_ruby_version and delete that line
> from the spec.

I could delete require_ruby_version, if that would fix the problem,
but since RubyGems is generating this spec, it really doesn't solve my
problem beyond this one test install.

Thanks,
T.