[Rubygems-developers] Transitioning from 0.9.4 to 0.9.5

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:53:27 EDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Tom Copeland <tom at infoether.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 10:55 -0700, Eric Hodel wrote:
> > On Oct 27, 2007, at 08:24 , Daniel Berger wrote:
> > > I was thinking about the gem compatibility issue some more.  I
> > > guess the
> > > first question is whether or not we can ensure that 0.9.4 can handle
> > > gems built with 0.9.5 or later. Can we do that?
> > >
> > > If not, what about the possibility of catching this error?
> > >
> > >   ERROR:  While executing gem ... (TypeError)
> > >       can't instantiate uninitialized class
> >
> > This is because Gem::Platform is a class now, right?  I can patch up
> > Gem::Specification to make it backwards compatible.
> >
> > It looks like the release of 0.9.5 will be delayed until post-
> > RubyConf.  I have to work on my presentation.
>
> Hm, is there some way we can tweak the gem index to skip these or
> something?  Right now I've disabled gem index rebuilds to prevent
> someone from releasing a gem and accidentally breaking the index for
> everyone...

Tom, it seems only happens when trying to install gems build for
Gem::Platform::CURRENT, since Platform is now a Class instead of
String with previous version.

To summarize, this only affects gems with platform like x86-mswin32-60
or x86-mswin32-80, since all the ::RUBY platforms remains the same

(Evan Weaver confirmed this on #irc today when talking about it).

If you put a gem with 0.9.4.6 specification, it brake the indexing
process? I guess not.

Also, Hiroshi proposed a patch [1] to workaround this issue from the 'gem' side.

Since I really don't know the exact setup where you create the index,
could provide more info?

[1] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2007-October/003146.html

--
Luis Lavena