[Rubygems-developers] Asking me for prerequisites

Marcus Rueckert darix at web.de
Thu Oct 25 07:29:10 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-24 20:15:24 -0700, Eric Hodel wrote:

> >> It means the latter.  It will never ask before installing
> >> dependencies anymore.
> >
> > Will the --ignore-dependencies option at least tell you what
> > dependencies you
> > have just ignored?
>
> `gem dep` will tell you that.
>
> > I would like to see the old behavior kept around as an option, or
> > as an
> > alternative/additional, a mode for it to behave like rpm/dpkg, and
> > just fail
> > verbosely if you don't have the dependencies already.
>
> It will fail upon require.
>
> > Would patches for any of this kind of stuff be accepted? (as non-
> > defaulted
> > options, of course)

a package managing tool should never produce an inconsistent state. and
missing dependencies are an inconsistent state. other package managers
require a --force to break the system.

i would call the flag --dependencies=[ask|ignore]. the --ignore-dependencies
could be dropped.

another improvement in that area would that it should list all
dependencies at once and ask "do you want to install those 10 other gems
to satisfy the dependencies?" that way you wouldnt have to say "y" 10
times as it was in the past. maybe if you move to a single question for
all dependencies, it would be ok to revert to the old behavior of asking
if a gem needs more gems.

just my 2 cents

    darix

--