[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems don't like binaries for executables

Nic Williams drnicwilliams at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:49:07 EDT 2007

Is there a doc/blog post anywhere about including non-Ruby executables in a

> On 10/23/07, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I understand correctly, executables are not put in c:\ruby\bin,
> > correct? Is there an option to copy or move executables to the ruby/bin
> > directory automatically (or wherever the user wants to put executables)?
> >
> Excuse my english is so poor :-P
> If I add executables using spec.executables array or set it by
> #default_executable, RubyGems do garbage with the binary (for binary I
> mean windows PE executable).
> > If not, perhaps an option to add that would be nice. If it already does
> > that, then I'm afraid I don't understand the issue.
> Currently RubyGems grabs everything you have in bin (that is listed in
> #executables) and put shebang line to it... which render the file
> useless.
> Also creates the windows stub scripts, that call ruby to run the
> useless garbage that was created in first step.
> One solution will be if .exe files (binary PE files) found in
> #executables, treat them 'as-is' and do a binary copy to ruby/bin.
> That could be a security issue, if you install gems from untrusted
> sources (and have ruby/bin in the path).
> Also, this will require you install previous versions of the gem when
> you want to "switch" to a specific version... thus, breaking the joy
> of automatic version use of RubyGems.
> --
> Luis Lavena
> Multimedia systems
> -
> Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort,
> which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that
> is worthwhile.
> Vince Lombardi

Dr Nic Williams
http://drnicacademy.com - Ruby/Rails training around the world
http://drnicwilliams.com - Ruby/Rails/Javascript/Web2.0
skype: nicwilliams
(p) +61 412 002 126
(mail) PO Box 583, Ashgrove 4060, Queensland, Australia