[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems don't like binaries for executables

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:16:58 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, executables are not put in c:\ruby\bin,
> correct? Is there an option to copy or move executables to the ruby/bin
> directory automatically (or wherever the user wants to put executables)?

Excuse my english is so poor :-P

If I add executables using spec.executables array or set it by
#default_executable, RubyGems do garbage with the binary (for binary I
mean windows PE executable).

> If not, perhaps an option to add that would be nice. If it already does
> that, then I'm afraid I don't understand the issue.

Currently RubyGems grabs everything you have in bin (that is listed in
#executables) and put shebang line to it... which render the file
useless.

Also creates the windows stub scripts, that call ruby to run the
useless garbage that was created in first step.

One solution will be if .exe files (binary PE files) found in
#executables, treat them 'as-is' and do a binary copy to ruby/bin.

That could be a security issue, if you install gems from untrusted
sources (and have ruby/bin in the path).

Also, this will require you install previous versions of the gem when
you want to "switch" to a specific version... thus, breaking the joy
of automatic version use of RubyGems.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems