[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems don't like binaries for executables

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:20:47 EDT 2007

This behaviour is old:

Scenario:
Add an executable (binary compiled for the platform) to <gem>/bin and
later include this in the default_executable / executabels option of
the specficication.

What happens: when you install the gem, RubyGems systematically add
the shebang to all the files marked as executables (and create the
windows stubs also).

To workaround this, I needed to exclude mongrel_service.exe from
executables and manually copy the file, which is sub optimum
(actually my gem does it).

The problem with this is that you can't have 2 versions of the same
executable laying in your ruby/bin folder, and also is sub optimum
create batch scripts that load ruby, rubygems, get the correct version
and #system to the executable with the ARGV list...

Also, for this case, mongrel_service register a service in the windows
registry, so:

lib/1.8/gems/mongrel_service-0.3.3-mswin32/bin/mongrel_service.exe

is part of the action command line, which will brake with later
updates of the gem.

What other developers suggest about this? Or I should stay away the
patching nightmare and keep doing what I currently do?

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems