[Rubygems-developers] OSX 10.5 patch

Laurent Sansonetti laurent.sansonetti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:10:39 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Austin Ziegler <halostatue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Laurent Sansonetti <laurent.sansonetti at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The first change-set is to leave the bin path as /usr/bin, because
> > Ruby's bindir is actually a directory inside the framework. We want
> > RubyGems to generate its binary wrappers in /usr/bin, so that they
> > will be accessible from the PATH.
> Would it not be better to set that value in Config the way you did

We could do that indeed, but this would be in a software update. It's
also probably safe for now to assume that Leopard will be the only
environment with a framework'ized ruby.

> > In Leopard, we didn't want to use a unique gem repository, because we
> > wanted to separate the pre-installed gems that ship with Leopard from
> > the gems that the user will install after. So Leopard comes with 2 gem
> > repositories, one inside the Ruby framework that contains all the
> > pre-installed gems, and another one in /Library which is empty by
> > default, but which is also the default repository.
> What happens if I upgrade a gem? This seems relevant to the discussion
> that's been happening here with respect to Linux distros wanting more
> from both Ruby and RubyGems. Is there something that can be
> generalized here for either and/or both?

If you upgrade a pre-installed gem, the new version of the gem will go
in the /Library repository, while the old one will stay in the system

I am currently preparing an article that will explain this (as well as
the other Ruby-related changes in Leopard), and we want to make it
available the soonest possible, so stay tuned :-)