[Rubygems-developers] OSX 10.5 patch

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:50:09 EDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Laurent Sansonetti <laurent.sansonetti at gmail.com> wrote:
> The first change-set is to leave the bin path as /usr/bin, because
> Ruby's bindir is actually a directory inside the framework. We want
> RubyGems to generate its binary wrappers in /usr/bin, so that they
> will be accessible from the PATH.

Would it not be better to set that value in Config the way you did
with APPLE_GEM_HOME?

> In Leopard, we didn't want to use a unique gem repository, because we
> wanted to separate the pre-installed gems that ship with Leopard from
> the gems that the user will install after. So Leopard comes with 2 gem
> repositories, one inside the Ruby framework that contains all the
> pre-installed gems, and another one in /Library which is empty by
> default, but which is also the default repository.

What happens if I upgrade a gem? This seems relevant to the discussion
that's been happening here with respect to Linux distros wanting more
from both Ruby and RubyGems. Is there something that can be
generalized here for either and/or both?

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
               * austin at halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/