[Rubygems-developers] Finding where gems are stored

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:31:08 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Marcus Rueckert <darix at web.de> wrote:
> On 2007-10-22 07:17:08 -0400, Trans wrote:
> > On 10/22/07, Marcus Rueckert <darix at web.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > if debian ships those gems inside the debs, debian becomes the vendor.
> > > and debian as a vendor is not supposed to use /opt. the hierarchy is
> > > solely for 3rd party vendors. so you could use it for gems installed via
> > > the gem cmdline... but in that case /opt feels like the wrong solution.
> >
> > Right. That's what I mean, for when using gem cmdline.
> >
> > > i would rather go for /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/ in that case.
> >
> > Is that a good place considering someone might install ruby itself to
> > /usr/local/lib/?
> there are always disadvantages. but maybe something you want to
> consider.

I think you misunderstand me. It is entirely reasonable for someone to
install Ruby itself to /usr/local/lib/ruby, if it wasn't for Ruby
using a version tier, ie. 1.8/, that would be a complete mess --the
gem dir would be mixed in with all the other libs, ostruct.rb, io/,
irb/, etc. But even with the tier, I don't think it's a good practice
to mixing version tiers with not version tiers --"gems" is not a
version of Ruby. Perhaps if the lib/ruby were divided like: