[Rubygems-developers] Finding where gems are stored

Marcus Rueckert darix at web.de
Mon Oct 22 06:46:14 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-22 00:27:18 -0400, Trans wrote:
> On 10/21/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
>
> > No.
> >
> > If you install the same gem into the default dir and into a separate
> > path (with install -i), the files (.rb and .so) will be installed
> > twice, but only one version will be activated.
>
> Why not use 'opt/' ? I was reading about it in the FHS and it seems to
> fit exactly with the gems way of doing things.[1] Gems fits the
> /opt/<provider>/<package> mold. All RubyGems would need do is register
> "gems" as a provider LANANA [2] and move the the cache to
> /vat/opt/gems/; then RubyGems would be in perfect compliance with FHS.
>
> [1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES
> [2] http://www.lanana.org/lsbreg/providers/index.html

if debian ships those gems inside the debs, debian becomes the vendor.
and debian as a vendor is not supposed to use /opt. the hierarchy is
solely for 3rd party vendors. so you could use it for gems installed via
the gem cmdline... but in that case /opt feels like the wrong solution.

i would rather go for /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/ in that case.

    darix

--
           openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
               openSUSE is good for you