[Rubygems-developers] VENDOR_HOME (Was: Finding where gems are stored)

Marcus Rueckert darix at web.de
Mon Oct 22 06:42:11 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-21 20:39:05 -0700, Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2007, at 06:14 , Donavan Pantke wrote:
> > So, I mentioned in an earlier thread about the ability to have a
> > second gem
> > directory, (I called it VENDOR_HOME) to store gems installed by a
> > system
> > package manager. The gem command will treat this as read-only, and
> > so won't
> > install or delete gems from this directory. This means we should be
> > able to
> > have our cake and eat it too! I'm guessing that, in this structure,
> > will be in /usr/local/lib (with binaries linked to /usr/local/bin),
> > and
> > VENDOR_HOME will be in /usr/lib (and packages install the binary
> > commands).
> >
> > In theory, the gem cache should be placed somewhere in /var (there
> > are quite a few places this could be, either /var/lib/gems or /var/
> > tmp/gems sounds  appealing to me)
> >
> > I'm heading out of town next week, but when I get back I'll work on
> > getting
> > VENDOR_HOME and so forth into RubyGems, unless of course someone
> > else wants
> > to tackle this. :)
> What you propose sounds no different than setting GEM_PATH
> appropriately.

1. could you give an example how it could look like?

   how would you install gems into the vendor dir so the user can find

   how can you get gem to treat the vendor dir as read only unless
   passed a --vendor option (just an example) with the GEM_PATH

2. using the environment variable has the disadvantage that the user can
   break it. while an additional path hardcoded in the config of gem
   cant be lost that easily.

           openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
               openSUSE is good for you