[Rubygems-developers] Finding where gems are stored

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 00:27:18 EDT 2007

On 10/21/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:

> No.
> If you install the same gem into the default dir and into a separate
> path (with install -i), the files (.rb and .so) will be installed
> twice, but only one version will be activated.

Why not use 'opt/' ? I was reading about it in the FHS and it seems to
fit exactly with the gems way of doing things.[1] Gems fits the
/opt/<provider>/<package> mold. All RubyGems would need do is register
"gems" as a provider LANANA [2] and move the the cache to
/vat/opt/gems/; then RubyGems would be in perfect compliance with FHS.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES
[2] http://www.lanana.org/lsbreg/providers/index.html