[Rubygems-developers] Latest trunk still misses 'mswin32' as valid platform when installing gems.

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 19:11:51 EST 2007

Hello Guys,

Trying to fit latest rubygems into One-Click Installer (RC2-> Final
release) found that gems with 'mswin32' aren't used and 'ruby' ones
takes priority:

gem install mongrel --no-ri --no-rdoc:

The mongrel gem metadata contains 'mswin32' as platform
(Gem::Platform:WIN32, built with 0.9.4) -- I used that based on other
gems using that platform -- my mistake.

There's also others gems like FXRuby that indicates mswin32 as
platform in their gem specification.

wxRuby gems, on the other hand, install successfully since they used
Gem::Platform::CURRENT to set their specification metadata.
(i386-mswin32, built with 0.9.4)

Also tried supply --platform 'mswin32', 'x86-mswin32-60',
'i386-mswin32' all with and without single quotes. all with the same
result.

I'm looking into the tests cases and there isn't anyone specified for
this (looked into test_gem_installer.rb,
test_gem_commands_install_command.rb)

Daniel and Eric, what do you think about this? Where should I create a
fake platform specific gem to test this out?

I guess that final 1.8.6-p111 One-Click will ship with 0.9.4 for the time being.

Thanks in advance all for your time.

Have a nice weekend!

--
Luis Lavena