[Rubygems-developers] Are pre-compiled gems for Windows available anymore under 0.9.5?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 10:33:26 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 11:50 AM, Wes Gamble <weyus at att.net> wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 2007, at 23:24 , Wes Gamble wrote:
> >

> >> I updated to 0.9.5 Rubygems, and now all of my updates of my
> >> (previously) precompiled Windows gems are now attempting to compile
> >> via
> >> extconf.rb, etc.
> >>
> >> Are precompiled versions of gems for Windows available?  If so, how
> >> do I
> >> specify that I want one?
> >>
> >> I attempted to use the --platform x86-mswin32-80 modifier which I
> >> thought would pull a precompiled gem, but no such luck.
> >>

> > Please provide `gem env` output and an screen capture per the release
> > notes.
> >
> I seem to have mostly figured out my problem.  I was able to update most
> of my precompiled gems on my Windows
> install by passing "mswin32" to the --platform option.  Clearly, this
> does not jive with the help which implies that the
> format of the --platform argument should be #{cpu}-#{os}-#{version}.

Wes let me clear your problem:

You said that you platform was x86-mswin32-80, but actually is x86-mswin32-60.

I have installed successfully gems made with platform mswin32 under
x86-mswin32-60.

x86-mswin32-80 is another breed of platform, since the libruby library
(msvcrt-ruby18.dll) is not the same for VC8 (msvcr80-ruby18.dll) so
the pre-compiled gems will fail.

I'll check this later at the office with both versions (VC6 and VC8)
versions of ruby and see what happens.

> The only gem I was unable to update was "fastthread" which attempts to
> compile no matter what I pass it.
> All of my other gems update correctly.

Latest fastthread version is not available as pre-compiled, since
poses no use for Windows (this was discussed long time ago in
mongrel-users list) and also 1.8.6 Ruby ships with fastthread enabled
in the core, so no need for the gem.

> Is there a way to force the platform globally (via an env. var. or
> something) so I don't have to remember to specify "--platform mswin32"
> on future updates?

It seems odd that didn't take in consideration mswin32 as
x86-mswin32-60 compatible, this was working before without problems.

Maybe some of the changes introduced to fix the Indexer produced this
incompatibility.

Will check later and provide feedback (also will try patches since
they are more useful) :-)

> Below is "gem env" output followed by a failed attempt to update one gem
> (with no --platform setting) and a successful attempt to update the same
> gem (with --platform mswin32).

BTW, I suggest you update your ruby to patchlevel 111 (you can use
latest one-click installer release candidate for that).

Patchlevel 0 didn't have a working fastthread bundled :-P

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems