[Rubygems-developers] Are pre-compiled gems for Windows available anymore under 0.9.5?

Wes Gamble weyus at att.net
Tue Nov 20 09:50:18 EST 2007

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007, at 23:24 , Wes Gamble wrote:
>

>> I updated to 0.9.5 Rubygems, and now all of my updates of my
>> (previously) precompiled Windows gems are now attempting to compile
>> via
>> extconf.rb, etc.
>>
>> Are precompiled versions of gems for Windows available?  If so, how
>> do I
>> specify that I want one?
>>
>> I attempted to use the --platform x86-mswin32-80 modifier which I
>> thought would pull a precompiled gem, but no such luck.
>>

> Please provide `gem env` output and an screen capture per the release
> notes.

I seem to have mostly figured out my problem.  I was able to update most
of my precompiled gems on my Windows
install by passing "mswin32" to the --platform option.  Clearly, this
does not jive with the help which implies that the
format of the --platform argument should be #{cpu}-#{os}-#{version}.

The only gem I was unable to update was "fastthread" which attempts to
compile no matter what I pass it.
All of my other gems update correctly.

Is there a way to force the platform globally (via an env. var. or
something) so I don't have to remember to specify "--platform mswin32"
on future updates?

Below is "gem env" output followed by a failed attempt to update one gem
(with no --platform setting) and a successful attempt to update the same
gem (with --platform mswin32).

Thanks,
Wes

C:\eclipse\workspace>gem env
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 0.9.5 (0.9.5)
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i386-mswin32]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-mswin32-60
  - GEM PATHS:
     - c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

C:\eclipse\workspace>gem update rjb
Updating installed gems...
Attempting remote update of rjb
ERROR:  Error installing rjb:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb update rjb
checking for jni.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
        --with-opt-dir
        --without-opt-dir
        --with-opt-include
        --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
        --with-opt-lib
        --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
        --with-make-prog
        --srcdir=.
        --curdir
        --ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby

Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rjb-1.0.11 for
 inspection.
Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rjb-1.0.11/ext/gem_make.out
Gems: [rjb] updated

C:\eclipse\workspace>gem update rjb --platform mswin32
Updating installed gems...
Attempting remote update of rjb
Successfully installed rjb-1.0.11-mswin32
1 gem installed
Gems: [rjb] updated