[Rubygems-developers] How to bundle up MS Windows version separately

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 23:39:53 EST 2007

On 11/9/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007, at 16:23 , Trans wrote:
> > Yes. I've reconsidered my position. I think a platform gem is a rather
> > special case. For instance a Windows binary, b/c Windows often lacks
> > the needed compile tools. But on most other systems it seems
> > unccessary.  Is that a fair assessment?
> I think so.  Most other systems have compilers by default, or a
> compiler can easily be added to them.

Erm. It's mostly a theoretical at this point, but if I wanted to do
something with Ruby on ESX Server Console (a variant of Red Hat ES 3),
I'd be SOL if I wanted to install an extension gem using the "gem"

It would be nice to have the ability to do a "gem repack" or something
like that to take a currently installed gem and repack it into a new
deployable gem that could be used locally.

Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
               * austin at halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/
               * austin at zieglers.ca