[Rubygems-developers] extensions fall back option

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 23:12:53 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 9:14 PM, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 5:04 PM, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> > On Nov 7, 2007, at 08:45 , Trans wrote:
> >
> > > Would this suffice for adding a fall back option to Installer? It also
> > > requires that 'extensions_fallback' be added to the gemspec.
> >
> > extconf.rb can be set up to do this already.  Check for all your
> > dependencies, and if one of them doesn't exist, generate a Makefile
> > that does nothing.  If you fail to compile for some other reason, I
> > think it is too dangerous to automatically fall back.
> That doesn't work if there is no make/nmake on the system. Plus, the
> fall back is pure ruby. So if it fails for _any reason_ it would be
> okay --that's the point. It would just give a warning that native
> extension didn't compile, but the library was still usable in pure
> ruby "mode".

The only problem is nmake. make can handle empty makefiles, also nmake
(if present).

If all the steps you test in extconf.rb fails, you should create
nmake.bat and create the empty makefile.

I guess that will work... but must validate my idea later (with a
windows machine handy) :)

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.