[Rubygems-developers] Deep thoughts about 0.9.4.6

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Fri Nov 9 20:10:43 EST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 12:37 , Luis Lavena wrote:
> Been working along this beta since a few weeks backs, so my understand
> could not match the one of the creators or big contributors, but found
> a few issues that I'll really appreciate some insight.
>
> - Latest beta always try to use SSL (OpenSSL or SSL in the jruby) even
> when you don't ask for it (filled a ticket about this).

I think this is too invasive to fix right now.  Maybe for the next
release.

> - Currently some gems shipped with "jruby" as platform got missed by
> the new Indexer:

Fixed.

> - Also, the indexer miss some gems due "misnamed gem", which was
> discussed previously.

Fixed.

> This raises a new issue: chicken-egg situation: using the new yaml
> index will force the clients to have latest rubygems to work with,
> since platform: reference in the spec is now a class.

The yaml index should be backwards compatible.  If its not, then
RubyGems has a bug.

I changed things around some by storing a Gem::Platform in
@new_platform, and leaving @platform alone (as best I could).  This
should fix the YAML problems with respect to backwards compatibility.

> Shouldn't the gem specification version be bumped one time and
> encapsulate these "differences"?

It has, but the code in Gem::Specification doesn't handle forward-
compatiblity well.  I've worked around it as much as I can.