[Rubygems-developers] rubygems over dialup

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Fri Nov 9 16:41:16 EST 2007

On Nov 3, 2007, at 14:27 , Brian Sammon wrote:
> Does anyone out there use rubygems over dialup?
> Am I correct in my understanding that it wants to download a 12MB
> index file
> before installing anything?

You can use the -B flag to force it to download ~ 9000 files instead,
but you have to wait for it to complete :/

> I tried to install a package, and killed rubygems after 15 minutes
> because I
> was tired of waiting for it.
> Does anyone have any practical suggestions for using rubygems 0.9.4
> with a
> dialup connection?

Manual local installations work :/

Otherwise, no.

> Also, what about a progressbar feature?  Is anyone working on that?

Unfortunately, open-uri does not support progressbars with HTTP, only
FTP.  I'd like to have a progressbar, but it is not worth the effort
to implement.