[Rubygems-developers] What is right and wrong with dependencies definitions?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 23:58:25 EST 2007

On 11/7/07, Austin Ziegler <halostatue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/07, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Been updating some gems locally (crafted by myself) and found a
> > curious situation:
> >
> > Eric told me on #ruby-lang that Hoe include itself as dependency since
> > it's needed to perform gem 'check' operations.
> This and the other issues would be solved if someone added a
> "development dependencies" list (or a "gem dependencies", as in
> dependencies for working with the gem itself, not with the package
> contained within the gem... sort of).

In "The Real World"(tm) users read the documentation from the source
package to fulfill the required dependencies to compile build and pack
the application/library.

Another example is a when you depend during testing of a Mocking
framework like mocha or FlexMock... why that should be added as
runtime dependency?

+1 for #dependencies and #development_dependencies

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi