[Rubygems-developers] What is right and wrong with dependencies definitions?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:44:46 EST 2007

Hello folks,

Been updating some gems locally (crafted by myself) and found a
curious situation:

Eric told me on #ruby-lang that Hoe include itself as dependency since
it's needed to perform gem 'check' operations.

Also, on FireBrigade, 'as gem developer' there is listed that Rake and
RSpec are included if Rakefile or spec/* folder is found in the gem,
just to ease the task if you forgot to include.

This raise me the question: this is right? I mean, sometimes when I
download some gems, I trust they work as expected by the release
notes. If not, I checkout the source code (if some repo is available)
and perform my tests locally.

For some gems it's overkill to depend on rspec when you're working
with trunk to perform some test -- since there is no official release
of latest changes -- and include vendor/rspec distract from the task.

What is the best approach for this? Include everything as dependency?

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems