[Rubygems-developers] gemspec extensions attribute

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:13:53 EST 2007

On 11/6/07, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2007 1:36 PM, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> > I think you have to do create_makefile('your_lib', 'foo') in the
> > extconf.rb file.
> Thank you.
> Sorry I'm so dense about this stuff. I've never worked with Makefiles
> before (beyond compiling someone else's code). I thought gems was
> responsible for moving the file, not the makefile. Anyway, I looked up
> mkmf.rb and got a better idea of what's going on. I manged to create a
> multi-platform gem, so that's cool.

If you have a blog, I'll really enjoy reading about this, since
mkmf.rb is a real pain to understand! ;-)

I don't know what happened to mkrf (which was supposed to replace
mkmf.rb with Rakefiles)... I wish there was some improvements on this
area :-)

Also, I'll love to know how did you managed the cross-compile thing,
since lot of developers could learn from it.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi