[Rubygems-developers] How to bundle up MS Windows version separately

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:23:10 EST 2007

On 11/5/07, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean what I was basically thinking?
>
>   lib/
>     whatever.rb
>     i386-mswin32/
>       http11.so
>     i386-linux/
>       http11.so

Yes. But on install, not on packaging.

> RubyGems could figure the proper load path for the platform, it could
> also remove the unneccessary paths in install since they are just
> wasting space. But we'd only need a single gem. Yes, it would bigger
> file, but I would think it worth the convenience.

Not to remove on install; to allow for multiple platforms. Like I
said, FHS/LSB stuff.

> BTW why is the Windows an .so and not a .dll? Cygwin?

Because Windows doesn't actually care ;)

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
               * austin at halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/