[Rubygems-developers] How to bundle up MS Windows version separately

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:05:22 EST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007 10:07 AM, Austin Ziegler <halostatue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem will that will be how identify extensions compiled for
> > windows, linux or darwin, all in the same package.
> > Kernel#require is not clever as rubygems require version to find the
> > matching -mswin32 or -darwin or -bsd version of the specific
> > extension.
> Hmmm. It'd be nice if we did put the platform-arch stuff in the built
> files in RubyGems, though. It'd solve some problems with LSB/FHS
> compliance for those who care about that (e.g.,
> i386-mswin32/http11.so). You could install the same gem for multiple
> platforms without collision and have the ruby for that platform Do The
> Right Thing.

Do you mean what I was basically thinking?

RubyGems could figure the proper load path for the platform, it could
also remove the unneccessary paths in install since they are just
wasting space. But we'd only need a single gem. Yes, it would bigger
file, but I would think it worth the convenience.

BTW why is the Windows an .so and not a .dll? Cygwin?