[Rubygems-developers] How to bundle up MS Windows version separately

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:07:45 EST 2007

> The problem will that will be how identify extensions compiled for
> windows, linux or darwin, all in the same package.

> Kernel#require is not clever as rubygems require version to find the
> matching -mswin32 or -darwin or -bsd version of the specific
> extension.

Hmmm. It'd be nice if we did put the platform-arch stuff in the built
files in RubyGems, though. It'd solve some problems with LSB/FHS
compliance for those who care about that (e.g.,
i386-mswin32/http11.so). You could install the same gem for multiple
platforms without collision and have the ruby for that platform Do The
Right Thing.

> having something like:
>
> http11-x86-mswin32-60.so
> http11-x86-linux.so
> http11-x86-darwin-8.so
>
> Will not help either, instead will create huge packages.
>
> So far, this solution is quite similar to Python distutils way of
> packaging for specific platforms.
>
> Is not the most beautiful one, but works :-)

Be nice if creating platform-specific gems could be automated, too ;)

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
               * austin at halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/