[Rubygems-developers] How to bundle up MS Windows version separately

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:02:36 EST 2007

On 11/5/07, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, the upcoming 0.9.5 will provide auto-platform matching, so if the
> > pre-built gem for the matching platform is available, will use it
> > instead of the RUBY (source version) one.
> That's good.
> I wish we had unified packages, though, rather then having to create
> separate packages for each platform.

The problem will that will be how identify extensions compiled for
windows, linux or darwin, all in the same package.

Kernel#require is not clever as rubygems require version to find the
matching -mswin32 or -darwin or -bsd version of the specific

having something like:

Will not help either, instead will create huge packages.

So far, this solution is quite similar to Python distutils way of
packaging for specific platforms.

Is not the most beautiful one, but works :-)

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi