[Rubygems-developers] gembundles

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:16:22 EDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Austin Ziegler <halostatue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/07, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> > While working on a integrated gembundles implementation. I figured out
> > a much better approach. Rather than have a separate gembundle format,
> > the standard gem can just have a third part.  Ex. in some.gem:
>
> I'm still really not sure what you're trying to solve here that isn't
> solved by normal gem dependencies.

The general use case is when you have an application that depends on
_many_ smaller packages. In my case, I am breaking Facets up into a
number of subprojects so that programmers have the option to use parts
of Facets independent of the whole. But Nitro uses Facets and Nitro
doesn't want the situation where dozens fo subpackages have to be
independently confirmed/downloaded/installed. They want ONE support
package and that's it. So how do I acheive both goals? Moreover, it
allows Nitro to to branch out to other libs, rather than depend on
Facets for everything.

Also, bundles makes it easier to distribute an application on physical
media since everythng one needs can be in one package.

Thridly, it puts us one step away from something like Klik or Jars for Ruby.

T.