[Rubygems-developers] gembundles

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 18:55:26 EDT 2007

While working on a integrated gembundles implementation. I figured out
a much better approach. Rather than have a separate gembundle format,
the standard gem can just have a third part.  Ex. in some.gem:

    metadata.gz
    data.tar.gz
    bundle/
      other.gem

The other gems are determined by the dependencies of the gemspec. That
way one can create totally new gembundles, or create one out of a
pre-existing gemspec just as easily. When installing, I think gems
would only need to copy the bundled gems to the rubygems cache first
then proceed normally.

T.