[Rubygems-developers] gembundles

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 12:49:05 EDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2007, at 01:30, TRANS wrote:
> > On 3/23/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> wrote:
> >> Why not release it as a separate gem, let it develop for a while, and
> >> if people use it, it can be included in RubyGems at a future date?
> >>
> >> Bundling with RubyGems is going to reduce opportunities for rapid
> >> improvement.
> >
> > Okay. Well I can do that. It's pretty drop-dead simple though. Do you
> > have any reason to suspect it's a bad idea?
>
> Maintaining a new feature for 1% of gem authors isn't a good use of
> RubyGems developers' time.

Heck a working prototype only took me 30 minutes. Someone familiar
with Gems could probably use my code as a template and weave it into
gems in another 30. But hey, I don't mind. I'm the one who's itching
for it after all. So I can write it even if it takes me a day to
figure out how it should interact with RubyGems.

I'll just make it standalone for now, and you can consider it for
inclusion later. Actually, it wouldn't be a big deal as just a
standalone app except for one thing. Without being part of gems proper
we couldn't use "gem install" to download and install a gembundle from
rubyforge (or other gem store).

T.