[Rubygems-developers] gembundles

Patrick Hurley phurley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:17:30 EDT 2007

On 3/22/07, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Nic Williams <drnicwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'll bite.
> >
> > One popular bundle people might relate to is to bundle the rails gems
> > together, as a demonstration.
> >
> > BTW, does/will your solution work for gems with components that get compiled
> > at installation time? Probably not a showstopper though,. Gembundle still
> > seems a good idea.
> I don't see why not. It installs gems just like gems are currently
> installed, this just adds a layer for packaging packages --hence a
> literal multi-package.

But they are built on the target system correct? I am actually (when I
can find spare minutes) working on a binary builder, that will take a
built from source binary gem from one system and create a new binary
gem for that architecture. It is not elegant (I package up
intermediate object files and the like), but in general I believe it
will work. This is to simplify the use of gems with extensions on
production servers that do not generally have a C compiler or other
build tools.