[Rubygems-developers] gembundles

Nic Williams drnicwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:32:42 EDT 2007

I'll bite.

One popular bundle people might relate to is to bundle the rails gems
together, as a demonstration.

BTW, does/will your solution work for gems with components that get compiled
at installation time? Probably not a showstopper though,. Gembundle still
seems a good idea.

Nic

On 3/21/07, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/20/07, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi--
> >
> > A few days back I brought up some ideas for dealing with
> > multi-packages. This evening I sat down and put to together a little
> > tool to handle just that: gembundle.
> >
> > The ideas is simple. Lets say I have a couple of gems: hello_world.gem
> > and adios_world.gem.
> >
> >   % gembundle build tryme hello_world-1.0.0.gem adios_world-1.0.0.gem
> >
> > This creates a tar.gz file called, tryme.gembundle which simply
> > contains the two listed gems, Then...
> >
> >   % gembundle install tryme.gembundle
> >   Successfully installed hello_world, version 1.0.0
> >   Successfully installed adios_world, version 1.0.0
> >
> > The intsall command just copies the bundle to a temp location, unpacks
> > it and installs the contained gems (with the -y option).
> >
> > That's it.
> >
> > Of course, my script is just a quick prototype --I'm shelling out for
> > all the tar and gem stuff. And it doesn't support some features like
> > remote access for grabbing gems to bundle.  But hopefully it doesn't
> > matter b/c I wanted to see if others would approve of this
> > functionality being incorporated into RubyGems itself. It's pretty
> > straightforward. It would just mean adding a "bundle" command to the
> > gem CLI and allowing the installer to recognize a bundle vs a regular
> > gem,such that '.gem' could still be used instead '.gembundle'.
> >
> > So what is it good for? It gives large application developers
> > breathing room to use vendor gems more freely. Per my explanation in
> > my last post, installing a gem that has many dependencies can be
> > off-putting. Not only does the administrator have to consider each
> > dependency, but ensuring the right versions of each can be daunting as
> > well.  Gembundles take care these concerns. And since a bundle simply
> > contains regular gems it works seamlessly with the current design.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> No response?
>
> T.

Dr Nic Williams
http://www.drnicwilliams.com - Ruby/Rails/Javascript/Web2.0
skype: nicwilliams
(p) +61 7 3102 3237 (Finds me anywhere in the world, via Skype)
(m) +46 737 533 525 (Swedish mobile)
(f) +61 7 3305 7572 (sends fax to my email)
Björnsonsgatan 153, 16 844 Bromma, Sweden