[Rubygems-developers] Multiplatform gems

Thomas Palmer public at bagotricks.com
Tue Mar 20 22:58:13 EDT 2007

What's the right way to do gems for multiple platforms? Or just point me
to existing documentation on this if it exists. I've seen some mention
of Gem::Platform, but I'm not sure how it is used if at all.

Specifically, I'm also interested in the support of JRuby as a platform.
(Well, there's the possibility of JNI code to provide sub-platforms of
JRuby, but usually just plain JRuby would be enough.) But even
understanding how to make a gem (or two gems with the same name???) to
support both Linux and Windows would give me a start on this.

Even more specifically, I've implemented some of RMagick for JRuby
(including some decent support for Gruff), but I have yet to figure out
how to package it as a gem such that it "just works". (Not that RMagick
itself necessarily just works, but once someone has an app configured
for RMagick ("gem 'rmagick'; require 'RMagick'"), I'd like that app to
work unchanged in JRuby. Further, Java itself has all the support it
needs built in for most common RMagick functionality, so there's no need
for additional setup such as needed for ImageMagick. So "gem install
<what???>" should get the job done there, too.)

Also, I can ask the JRuby folks, but I want to see what y'all have to
say, too.

Thanks for any advice.

- Tom Palmer