[Rubygems-developers] Two versions of ruby 1.8.x on same system with working rubygems, possible?

Steven Lumos steven at lumos.us
Tue Mar 13 17:40:08 EDT 2007

"Rick DeNatale" <rick.denatale at gmail.com> writes:
> I might be trying to do something which is impossible.
>
> I've got both ruby 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 installed on a system as well as
> ruby1.9  the libraries are in
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_setup
>    1.8.5
>    1.8.6
>    1.9
>
> I'd like now to install rubygems  so that it can be used with either
> 1.8.5 OR 1.8.6  but I can't figure out which options to use with
> setup.rb in order to do this.  I'd be happy if these were two separate
> rubygems installs, but it would be great if the gems could be shared
> if that made sense.
>
> Is this even possible?  Looking at the code in setup.rb it seems to
> disregard the tiny part of the ruby version.
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale

Likely you've already decided not to do this, but I set things up like:

  /local/ruby-1.8.4/{bin,lib,...}
  /local/ruby-1.8.5-p12/{bin,lib,...}

I have many versions installed this way--including various CVS
checkouts--going back to 1.6.4.  Usually, the 'official' version has a
/local/ruby symlink, and is automatically on everyone's path.  There's
definitely no sharing going on, because an experimental (from our
point of view) version of Ruby probably means experimental versions of
libraries too.  However, in principle you should be able to link the
various share dirs to a central one.  I don't know how much people
worry about sharing share these days.  Our data is larger than all of
Ruby with many gems installed by a factor of 10,000....

Steve